Proton 9.0 RC2 Makes More Windows Games Playable On Linux, Other Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proton 9.0 RC2 Makes More Windows Games Playable On Linux, Other Fixes

Phoronix: Proton 9.0 RC2 Makes More Windows Games Playable On Linux, Other Fixes

Valve and CodeWeavers today released the Proton 9.0 Release Candidate 2 build based off Wine 9.0 for powering Steam Play to enjoy an excellent assortment of modern (and legacy) Windows games on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Linux is literally becoming a vastly more compatible gaming platform then Windows! I am loving gaming on Linux these days. Now I have an excuse to back and play RA2, relive the early gaming days!

Comment

...and I remember in the 00s wrestling with getting games to work on wine, and then surprisingly SOME games(mostly opengl) would work BETTER running under WINE than windows! (probably becuase of so many stub functions v. windows functiones that really did not do anything... or did something that we would prefer them NOT to do...)

[EDIT]

...and back then it was the case that many times that using ACTUAL windows libs would make things work under wine... have NOT had to do that in the last decade though(mostly) although TBH I just use steam as the VAST majority of my games now are on steam, v. back in the day... and even many of those would use the license key to add to your steam lib...

I really miss the nice manuals and other paraphernalia that used to come with games though... some e.g. fallout games manuals were exemplary... Ultima games cloth maps now it costs $1k on a crappy kickstarter to get stuff like that and you're LUCKY to get a PDF manual at all on most steam games!

[/EDIT]
      Last edited by cutterjohn; 26 April 2024, 07:29 PM.

Comment

im just not sure why anything like this needs to exist as a separate project. why cant their work just go into wine itself?

Comment

Originally posted by quaz0r View Post
          im just not sure why anything like this needs to exist as a separate project. why cant their work just go into wine itself?
          Because wine wouldn't accept most of it?
          For example: There is this nasty slowdown effect with wine, when I want to play the GOG version of Horizon Zero Dawn.
          It is a well known issue, but wine doesn't want to change it's implementation, so Proton had to fix it in their wine fork.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
            Linux is literally becoming a vastly more compatible gaming platform then Windows! I am loving gaming on Linux these days. Now I have an excuse to back and play RA2, relive the early gaming days!
            Gaming on Linux is getting way better all the time mostly thanks to Valve / Proton / Steam Deck / Wine. But for every "hey this 20 year old game works on Linux and not Windows 11!", there are at least a dozen games that don't work at all, or are janky has hell on Linux (e.g. complete crash on certain maps). And I say this as someone posting from Tumbleweed just after finishing a round of an esports platform fighter through Steam / Proton that even uses Easy Anti-Cheat.

Comment

It's fantastic seeing how quickly wine and it's forks have been advancing lately with windows compatibility, especially games. It would be nice to see more improvements regarding productivity/enterprise software like adobe creative cloud and autodesk. There's a lot of third party software available these days for GNU/Linux systems but not every developer can/wants to natively support them. If we could get to the point where we could run most if not all windows binaries without actually having to use windows that would be great cause microsoft seems desperate to shit it up as much as possible. Also some devs such as bungie and riot like to intentionally sabotage wine/proton compatibility and that needs to be combated as well.
              Last edited by Abacus123; 27 April 2024, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

Gaming on Linux is getting way better all the time mostly thanks to Valve / Proton / Steam Deck / Wine. But for every "hey this 20 year old game works on Linux and not Windows 11!", there are at least a dozen games that don't work at all, or are janky has hell on Linux (e.g. complete crash on certain maps). And I say this as someone posting from Tumbleweed just after finishing a round of an esports platform fighter through Steam / Proton that even uses Easy Anti-Cheat.
                Agreed.

Currently running ChimeraOS on an all AMD system, 2 games that i had fun with, have some really weird issues.

Hell Yeah! Wrath of the dead rabbit (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell...he_Dead_Rabbit) has weird issues at startup and no background music whatsoever.

The Ascent (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ascent_(video_game) has weird graphics glitches with some textures but more importantly, enabling RT thanks the performance from over 80 or so FPS to 7 FPS at 4K on my 7900 XTX.

Overal, i had great luck with many games unlinux than windows.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

Why are you ignoring the many modern games that also work? I play modern games all the time on Linux. Some games don't work and some games work but are not perfect. But implying that it's bad that they also work on retro games is dishonest.

There are many people that work on this for free and I'm really grateful, I don't understand the vitriol against free things just because it's not perfect yet.
                  Last edited by dlq84; 27 April 2024, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
                    with the noticeable exception of all the online games with anticheat such as Fortnite and many others. This is becoming a major limitation.

Comment

Working...
                    X