Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 24.1-rc2 Released With More Graphics Driver Fixes

Phoronix: Mesa 24.1-rc2 Released With More Graphics Driver Fixes

Eric Engestrom has published Mesa 24.1-rc2 as the latest weekly release candidate of Mesa 24.1 as we work toward the stable release likely in the next week or two...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm really looking forward to upcoming updates
    Last edited by Kjell; 02 May 2024, 08:56 AM.

Comment

With Mesa 24.1-rc2 there are several fixes to the RADV Vulkan Video code
      Interesting. Every now and then I give Vulkan Video Decode a try out of curiosity but it's still failing for me when using my Radeon as of Mesa 24.1-rc1, mpv 0.38 and ffmpeg 6.1.1.

I did get it running with my Nvidia-card (535.161.08) for the first time the other day though, but only with --gpu-context=x11vk, not waylandvk.

Comment

Noob question, will 24.1 be on Ubuntu 24.04 or do I have to go with a PPA? https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...requests/26165 it's all I need (unlocks hardware acceleration on chromium based browsers for amdgpu) If it doesn't, how can I check if this patch will be backported? Thanks.

Comment

I wonder if i have 6.10 and said mesa and older gnome 44, will i reap any benefits right now? or do i need to wait till proton can take advantage of this feature or?

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

Interesting. Every now and then I give Vulkan Video Decode a try out of curiosity but it's still failing for me when using my Radeon as of Mesa 24.1-rc1, mpv 0.38 and ffmpeg 6.1.1.

I did get it running with my Nvidia-card (535.161.08) for the first time the other day though, but only with --gpu-context=x11vk, not waylandvk.
            Its working for me with gpu-api=vulkan and hwdec=vulkan on Gnome. Mesa version is 24.0.6 and mpv 0.38. I couldn't manage to make it work with Plasma.
            And its great. Somehow with vulkan decode gpu consumes 40-45 watt. With vaapi it consumes 70-80 watt. So I'm quiet happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rauros View Post
              Its working for me with gpu-api=vulkan and hwdec=vulkan on Gnome. Mesa version is 24.0.6 and mpv 0.38. I couldn't manage to make it work with Plasma.
              And its great. Somehow with vulkan decode gpu consumes 40-45 watt. With vaapi it consumes 70-80 watt. So I'm quiet happy with it.
              Weird, I get the following error
              Code:
              Device does not support the VK_KHR_video_decode_queue extension!​
              even though I'm on Mesa 24.0.6 with an RX 6650 XT.

Edit: it works if I set
              Code:
              RADV_PERFTEST=video_decode
              Last edited by bosslog; 02 May 2024, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bosslog View Post

Weird, I get the following error
                Code:
                Device does not support the VK_KHR_video_decode_queue extension!​
                even though I'm on Mesa 24.0.6 with an RX 6650 XT.
                Yep that was the error I was getting on plasma. It works with Gnome though.

Comment

Originally posted by Rauros View Post

Yep that was the error I was getting on plasma. It works with Gnome though.
                  Just found out it works (for H264 and H265) if I set
                  Code:
                  But for some reason AV1 hardware decoding only works with vaapi, not with vulkan.
                  Last edited by bosslog; 02 May 2024, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bosslog View Post

Just found out it works (for H264 and H265) if I set
                    Code:
                    But for some reason AV1 hardware decoding only works with vaapi, not with vulkan.
                    Yep, vulkan av1 video decode is very very recent, and only implemented in Mesa 24.1 iirc.

Comment

Working...
                    X