Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serpent OS Close To Having A System Installer & Being Able To Test On Real Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serpent OS Close To Having A System Installer & Being Able To Test On Real Hardware

Phoronix: Serpent OS Close To Having A System Installer & Being Able To Test On Real Hardware

Serpent OS lead developer Ikey Doherty published a monthly status update for this original Linux distribution, which points to having a working OS installer soon so users can begin trying out this creation on real hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This reminds me that Bluefin is out of beta

Comment

They provide a PGO+LTO-optimized clang by default, which typically reduces build times by 30%, I haven't seen any other distro do this.

Comment

Originally posted by edxposed View Post
        They provide a PGO+LTO-optimized clang by default, which typically reduces build times by 30%, I haven't seen any other distro do this.
        Gentoo sets this up for you if you enable USE="pgo lto"

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post

Gentoo sets this up for you if you enable USE="pgo lto"
          Then you can enjoy hours of supersonic jet time. Serpent OS offer prebuilt PGO compiler.

Comment

Then you can enjoy hours of supersonic jet time. Serpent OS offer prebuilt PGO compiler.
            Not with the right hardware

I'd be cautious with Serpent OS given the founder's track record of abandoning his projects or being in limbo of slow development (e.g. Solus).

Nonetheless, I have high hopes for this distro and I'll be eager to give it a fair chance since it's performance oriented
            Last edited by Kjell; 02 May 2024, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Interesting concepts but I feel it's a bit late.

Comment

Solus' is PGO'd+ThinLTO'd+BOLT'd

Comment

Why can't they use one of the many already in existence Linux installers?

Or even just an install script?

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post

Not with the right hardware

I'd be cautious with Serpent OS given the founder's track record of abandoning his projects or being in limbo of slow development (e.g. Solus).

Nonetheless, I have high hopes for this distro and I'll be eager to give it a fair chance since its performance oriented
                    My hardware is good enough, but GitHub Action's hardware isn't good enough to build LLVM twice in a few minutes. if Serpent OS is stable enough in the future, I look forward to being able to use it to accelerate CI workflows.​

Originally posted by joebonrichie View Post

Solus' is PGO'd+ThinLTO'd+BOLT'd
                    Solus and Serpent OS are now "brothers", so I prefer to think of them as the same distribution.

Comment

Working...
                    X