Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• systemd Rolling Out "run0" As sudo Alternative

Phoronix: systemd Rolling Out "run0" As sudo Alternative

Overnight systemd lead developer Lennart Poettering wrote on Mastodon around systemd's newest effort: run0 as a sudo-like command...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

systemd is vendor lock-in at this point

You can't opt-out of most features unless you compile it yourself

Packages are gradually starting to depend on functionality of systemd

We no longer have the freedom of choice as they're pushing more and more features into a single point of failure.. XZ vulnerability depended on functionality of systemd (edit: for those missing the bigger point, such problems are a biproduct of feature creep. Also, let's not discuss how buggy core components are, like systemd-networkd & systemd-resolved, and how many attack vectors systemd introduces with the amount of modules they provide).

How far will this go?
    systemd/GNU/Linux
    Last edited by Kjell; 30 April 2024, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Ill just stick with doas and sudo when appropriate

Comment

Fantastic addition to SystemD and another common sense idea by Lennart Poettering.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post

We no longer have the freedom of choice as they're pushing more and more features into a single point of failure.. XZ vulnerability depended on functionality of systemd
          How far will this go?
          systemd/GNU/Linux
          Dude, you either research to do it yourself (i.e. compile, set up, disable, install yourself), or you don't and comply with the default settings (i.e. as the package manager gives you it without the end-user changing it). To me it still sounds like an option taken.

In any case, security wise it sounds better to use run0 than sudo. The question is how it will hold out, any flawed perspectives will reveal itself when used more.

Comment

Lately, I've been thinking about the following regarding systemd in general: It already has so many subprojects and it tries to do more and more stuff.. But the big question is, are all of these subprojects properly maintained and is there enough man power to properly maintain them?

I've already voiced my total dissatisfaction with systemd-resolved on this forum - about how it just stops resolving DNS randomly and its serious bugs that are still open for years, which makes me think systemd devs simply don't have the time or man power to fix them. I mean I can't come up with any other explanation to why these bugs are open for 3, 4 or even more years.

I haven't tried the other systemd subprojects, so I don't know about their quality. Maybe it's just systemd-resolved that is this bad. But because of my experience with resolved, I'm concerned about the quality of the other subprojects.

Comment

BTW, please come to the Fediverse/Mastodon, Phoronix!
              And I don’t mean Mastodon•social because many instances are already blocking them for bad moderation.

Comment

Originally posted by holunder View Post
                BTW, please come to the Fediverse/Mastodon, Phoronix!
                And I don’t mean Mastodon•social because many instances are already blocking them for bad moderation.
                can you explain a bit more about this bad moderation?

Comment

I don't understand why there's so much hatred against systemd. There's nothing or nobody forcing you to use a specific feature. There's alternatives for those that don't want to use systemd explicitly, but I'm actually a Gentoo user with systemd, because everything just integrates better and makes my life easier, but that doesn't mean I'm using everything.
                  - I'm not using systemd-boot, but I'm using grub, because that's more convenient for me;
                  - I'm not using systemd-networkd as I also found it to be too unstable, so I just disabled it and switched to NetworkManager on my desktop and laptop
                  - I'm using systemd-homed on one of my computers, as it's easier in that specific USE case, yet I'm using systemd-cryptenroll (yet I could also just choose to use cryptsetup) for another system with my Yubikey.
                  - I'll likely not be using systemd-run0 as my system is fully built upon and mostly uses sudo (including scripts)

I'd be free to use openRC too and develop my own alternatives.

All of the above is my personal choice and no-one else's.

I also understand why they're picking 1 standard to support from a developers perspective, as developer resources are limited (sometimes even scarce) and this lightens the burden on developers to support multiple standards and that choice happens to be systemd. This of course doesn't mean that you can't or shouldn't develop something which add support for the specific functionality you'd like to use another piece of software for or is missing according to you.

Another argument to be given from a developer perspective is at least a form of standardization, which is one of the things often lacking and which causes unnecessary bugs, because somebody did something that is different from all the other standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post

We no longer have the freedom of choice as they're pushing more and more features into a single point of failure.. XZ vulnerability depended on functionality of systemd

How far will this go?
                    systemd/GNU/Linux
                    [ that's not an intelligent development for a system configuring&starting&benchmarking a basic environment, with 'read all source, compile or it might be not really data secure'? ]
                    Last edited by back2未來; 30 April 2024, 07:14 AM. Reason: corrections

Comment

Working...
                    X